Module 2- Coaching engagements schools of thought reflection

I found how we ended the class interesting. Learning how Karl, Jonathan, and Katerina fall in different parts of the spectrum when it comes to providing individual coaching to members of the team as a team coach.
Personally, I lean more toward Katerina's school of thought. The way I see it, my ability (or lack thereof) to navigate the confidentiality and other dynamics are not the central question for me. Even if I can keep everything separate, my central question would be 'is this the best decision for this team?'

In an ideal scenario, I would ask a trusted colleague to handle parallel 1-on-1 coaching when doing so is the best course of action for the team.

However, one thing that made this less black and white was hearing Karl share how he is aware of the knowledge he gains when navigating that scenario and how he is intentional and ethical in its use. That makes sense and even if it would not be my go-to approach, I will keep it as an option πŸ‘

So as it often is in life...it depends πŸ™‚

Confidentiality has been a way of life for my entire career. It also reflects my personal way of being. It is easy for me to hold confidences and easy to compartmentalize. My personal preference is to team coach and 1 to 1 coach in parallel if both are being offered. The 1 to 1 coaching (with 360's and specific objectives for the leader) focuses on that individual leader's development which includes their team/department and their role in the broader team of peers.

On the other hand is complete respect for a client's "non-comfort" with my ability to hold confidences. As demonstrated in our group, it can be hard to grasp that confidence can be held and compartmentalized. If it is challenging for a client to "keep a secret" it might be difficult for them to see that others can πŸ™‚ hmmm...need to find emoticons!

As a coach it is advantageous to have a network of other coaches to bring in for those 1 to 1's, and as a co-coach.

Recontracting will continue to be an area of focus for me. Finding a way to do it such that:
The client finds it appropriate and not annoying
That neither partner is doing so as a result of backing way from outcomes that appear to be difficult to reach or as a result of being in the "messy middle" of change.

This post is deleted!

I view myself as the conduit for the team, I bring awareness through questions, activities and reflection to any barrier to the teams intended outcome as a single entity. I do not have to have details but rather I am looking out for behaviours, language, and mood, connections that are presented during these sessions that I can question into and bring awareness to. If we as a collective, uncover those barriers that the team can't see themselves but are the barriers that hold them back then we can develop new competencies and new patterns of behaviour. A new language and mood or culture that would better serve the team. This is what I try to bring in my team coaching, and what always underpins this experience for me are the ethics and competencies required by the ICF or any coaching institution that I align with.

What I constantly work on and can always improve is my ability to truly listen, listen with all my senses. That dance of coaching where I check in on how I'm feeling and what I'm thinking, how I hold the coaching space for the team and then bring myself back into the room, fully present for what might emerge. I believe great listening enables powerful coaching.

As I reflect on the teach and confidentiality debate from module 2, a key insight for me is to trust my instinct and comfort while navigating these blurred lines.
I do clarify & share the coaching ethics and team-coaching boundaries with sponsors and teams before, and till now, I have only encouraged one-o-one coaching with team members before or after the team-coaching connect.
Upon reflection, I think it is due to the additional mental space and proficiency needed( which I don’t have now) to efficiently hold multiple confidentiality agreements simultaneously with the same group and its sub-group.